|Location||Portland, Oregon US map|
|Vehicle||1993 Saturn SL2 |
Took a bit of time, but this car is now finally running. (Lesson: Don't remodel your house in the middle of converting a car to electric :-)
|Motor||Advanced DC Advanced DC 8 Series Wound DC|
|Drivetrain||Original 4 speed manual transmission|
|Batteries||15 Trojan T-875, 8.00 Volt, Lead-Acid, Flooded|
64 lbs. each. Brand new set as of May 15th, 2011.
|System Voltage||120 Volts|
|Charger||Manzanita Micro PFC 20|
I've dumped the Russco charger that came with my original kit from ElectroAuto. It never did operate correctly. Now using the PFC 20.
|Heater||Electrical heater (Canadian EV model) mounted where the original heater core was.|
|DC/DC Converter||Sevcon Sevcon DC-DC Converter|
|Instrumentation||Westach Gages: 50-150 Volt gage, 120 Volt state of charge gage, 0-400 Amps gage|
|Top Speed||65 MPH (104 KPH)|
I've had it up to 65 on the freeway. Most of my driving is locally on roads that top out around 45 mph.
|Acceleration||A bit sluggish for the first 2-4 seconds, but after that it is not bad. Not a racer, but fun to drive.|
|Range||40 Miles (64 Kilometers)|
Breaking in the new batteries right now. Will update the miles per charge soon.
|Seating Capacity||4 adults|
|Curb Weight||3,250 Pounds (1,477 Kilograms)|
Weight only increased about 450 lbs over the original car.
|Tires||Low rolling resistance tires.|
|Conversion Time||About 7 months.|
|Conversion Cost||$11,000, including the cost of the car ($500 as it had a blown engine).|
|Additional Features||I have added vacuum pump and reservoir to help with my cars power breaks. I've added an SMC ZES1 presure switch that has a top and bottom range. Setting it to 20" top and 15" bottom lets me press the brakes 3-4 times before the pump comes on. Also, insulated and move the vacuum pump to the trunk helping minimize the noise. Its still the loudest part of the car so I'm looking for something quieter. I'm probably going to get a quieter one as soon as I can afford it.|
|All the batteries are under the hood (7) and under the floor of the trunk area (8) making this car as close to original look and function as possible. Almost a full trunk, the trunk floor is about 2" higher than it was and I did loose the place for the spare tire.|
First drive was January 20th, 2008!!!
2011 update: After a long break for illness and house remodel, I've just finished up all the small problems and installed a new set of batteries. She's back in business and being used daily again.
2012 update: This car now lives at Portland Community College. I've donated it to their automotive program. :-)