Controllerremodelled adaptor platebatteryInside the backside view - motor, adaptor and couplingThe offending drive shaftOriginal nameplateputting the motor and gearbox into the ccoupling
OwnerBoyd Briese
LocationBrisbane, Queensland Australia map
Email email image
Vehicle1991 Mazda 121
This is one of the 'jellybean' 121's. No
aircon, no power windows, no central
locking. It does have power steering. A
real driver's car.
Motor 3-Phase AC
7.5kw Aluminium frame motor from CMG rewound
as a 160Hz motor (from 50Hz), or as a
130volt motor from 400volts.
Drivetrain5 speed manual
Controller Polyspede CT1-301
This is a 22kw/30hp industrial 3 phase
Batteries48.00 Volt, Lithium-Ion
A dozen 48volt20Ah LiFePO4 ebike batteries
which should give about 11.5kWh. Each
battery contains 272 (16x17) 18650 cells.
System Voltage576 Volts
48v 5Amp chargers that came with the
batteries. I hope to use four of them (to
charge 4 separate 48v clusters).
The brand on the charger is 'Gaozao'
Heaterheating element from a ceramic blow heater.
DC/DC ConverterVicor VI-262-CV
Two 300v to 15v converters (150w each) to
keep the auxiliary battery charged. These
will be tweaked to deliver about 13.8v
Instrumentationoriginal manual speedo. Controller info pad
will provide other interesting info.
Seating Capacity5 now and hopefully 5 after conversion.
Curb Weight0
I understand the original weight is 810kg.
No GVM given!!
TiresBlack and old.
Conversion Costdonor car AUD3000
controller AUD2000
motor AUD2300
batteries AUD6370 (thanks to the good
AUD/USD rate in late October 2009) after
freight, GST etc.
coupling AUD150
So far I've got the car. The plan is to replace the 1.3l ICE
with a three phase AC motor and Life battery pack. Hopefully
the result will get me a top speed of over 100km/h, easy
cruising at 80km/h and a range of 60+ km.

Photos and more info to come.

30 October 2009
The parts are slowly coming together. The controller is
here, the motor is being rewound and the batteries have just
been ordered from China. There are still many problems to
sort out, which is why I'm so glad to be a member of the
Australian Electric Vehicle Association (AEVA), Brisbane

7 November 2009
Picked up the motor yesterday. I think a baby blue motor will
look good under the bonnet.

16 December 2009
The coupling was delivered about a week ago. The batteries
arrived on Friday (11th).

20 May 2010
Time to get serious. We couldn't imagine not having our
second car during the conversion, so we've just bought
another 121. (Maybe it will be converted later).

April 2011
My eight year old son finally nagged me into getting into
things. One Sunday afternoon saw the cooling system and most
of the exhaust removed. A whole Friday had the ICE out of
the car. Then there was several hours grinding at my adaptor
plate to make space for the drive shaft. Removing the fuel
tank was a few more hours of fun. The dashboard has been
removed so that I could replace the original water heat
exchanger with an electric element. Now it's time to begin
reassembling and find parts for the batteries etc.

September 2013
Back on the job after a few other projects around the home.
I had made a good deal of progress under the bonnet,
including mating the gearbox and motor, and mounting three
battery boxes. Now it's time to mount the batteries at the
back end of the car (in boot and in fuel tank space) and
finish up the wiring.

code by jerry