OwnerJames Edmonson
Owner's Other EVs1995 VW Jetta GLS
2000 Ford Ranger
LocationCorinth, Mississippi United States map
Email email image
Vehicle2003 Kazuma 50
50cc ATV
MotorScott 4BB-02488 Permanent Magnet DC
1 HP 24 VDC
DrivetrainChain and sprocket, 12 tooth front, 84 tooth rear
ControllerCurtis PMC 1204-101
Batteries2 Optima Yellow Top D51, 12.00 Volt, Lead-Acid, AGM
Two Optima yellow tops act as the traction batteries and a small off brand 4 lb motorcycle battery runs the lights, remote and the horn
System Voltage24 Volts
ChargerSchumacher Ship-n-Shore 10 Amp
Two 12 VDC 10 Amp chargers connected in parallel off board via anderson connectors
HeaterI live in Mississippi, it's hot enough
DC/DC Converter
none, I have an old Sears 1 amp motorcycle battery charger that I use for my acc. battery (off board)
InstrumentationCurtis 900RB24-BN Battery Fuel Gauge
Top Speed15 MPH (24 KPH)
Faster than the original 50 cc motor
Accelerationfast enough to do wheelies
RangeMy family has ridden it for about an hour at a time without dropping the curtis fuel gauge past the 1/2 way mark
Watt Hours/Mileno idea, this one was just for fun
Seating CapacityOne, it's real small, designed for a child up to 80 lbs. I weigh 220 and look like a clown riding a tricycle
Curb Weight0
It weighed 154 lbs when I started, I could pick it up then and I can still pick it up now so I don't think it weighs much more now
TiresStock, Fat, ATV tires
Conversion Time3 months
Conversion Cost$1250 plus the base four wheeler
Additional FeaturesThe original motor had a kill switch on the rear that you could tie a small rope to and run along behind the thing. When the rider got into trouble a quick tug and the motor shut off. After chasing my kids around for about 10 min I was tugging the rope just to catch my breath. In the conversion I added a remote kill switch that will work up to 250 feet away. I can now sit on my poarch, watch them ride and keep then safe. This is much more enjoyable for all involved.
I bought this four wheeler for my 3 and 4 year old daughters two years ago. They rode it maybe 10 times the first year then it sat up unused for a year partly because they forgot about it and partly because I didn't want to run after them while they were riding. In january 2006 my daughter (now 5) asked to ride again. I got it out and after about 2 hours I got it started. We let it idle for 15 min, checked the oil and restarted it. The next thing you know there was a terrible noise, schrapnel was flying all over my garage and my daughter was covered in oil. No one was hurt but she began to cry telling me and anyone else who would listen that daddy had destroyed her four wheeler. The motor and transmission were blown. The next day I began the conversion process, and now we are all much happier with the end result. They can ride, I can watch without running after them and no one will ever get soaked with oil.

code by jerry